Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sad Christmas Songs

My mom and dad left for Denver Thursday afternoon. They were visiting my aunt, who's on the last stage of in her fight with cancer (MDS). She passed away Thursday afternoon. They planned on heading back this Saturday, but they're staying an extra day for memorial services.

During leftover dinner Thursday night, my sister mused that yesterday just felt a little off and sad. She asked me if I'm sad. I told her that I try not to think about it... that I'd probably be sadder if I was with the family over at Denver. Truth is, I already cried a few days/week ago, dreading the thought of this day. My aunt was still going through chemotherapy over the last few months. One of my uncles, who's a doctor, said her prognosis was bad. In between chemo, she had a lung infection. Her immune system was just shot from all the therapy. My aunt decided to end her daily blood transfusions last week. I cried for my dad. I cried for my cousins and my aunts and uncles.

My aunt is survived by her siblings and her loving children, who were able to see her in the last two months. My dad was able to see her and took his turn to watch over her last month and two weeks ago. It would be her birthday on the December 28th. My friend said it's good she was surrounded by loving family on her last few days.

I always found these songs, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas," to be a little sadder than most songs. They always get me. More so now than before.

No matter what religion or creed you follow or not, I always thought of Christmas season as the time of the year to spend with your love ones. Love and cherish those moments.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment