Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Go Out and Find It

"Don't wait for opportunity to come along, go out and find it" - from Far East Fortune Cookie Co. Ltd.

I got this from one of the twitter pictures in one of the people I'm following on Twitter.

This fortune speaks volume to me because the most fulfilling achievements in my opinion are the ones you sought after. So far I've only had 5 jobs in my life. Two of which I'm very proud of because I got them by my own doing.

Working at Muvico was important to me because it was my decision. Nobody forced me on to it. Even though I only worked for about 3 months, it was an accomplishment. I've had 2 jobs later but my current job is my biggest accomplishment so far.

I didn't learn about Accenture until a friend of the ex told her they are hiring. I got a call back on Summer 2008, but I couldn't make it to that one because the training coincided with my trip to the Philippines. so I had about 7 months looking for a job. All the interviews and failed attempts at securing those jobs were a let down, each one of them. However, I learned a lot from those interviews and I used these to my advantage when I called back and submitted my resume again to Accenture.

The Accenture interview was originally scheduled to be held at UMBC, but last minute changes and lack of attendance prompted them to change the location and date to their main office at Reston, VA. They told us what to wear. I went a little under-dressed, but my attire was consistent with their dress policy. Going into that waiting room, all the guys wore black suits and ties. All I had is a thick brown jacket and long sleeve polo shirt and brown pants. But that didn't bother me. I killed in the interviews. I didn't know much about Java but I was know enough and told them that I am eager to learn. I think it was my feel-good attitude and confidence that drove them to consider me.

This was me about 1.5 years ago. I went into training on January 2008 and and fully hired and working in February. At around the same time, the economy was just getting really worse and my co-insurance expired. I was really lucky. Very lucky. A month later, it was my first time as primary on-call person. Very stressful week that was. My father in the Philippines was taken into the emergency room for high sugar levels. He wasn't taking care of himself even though he has diabetes and that put him in the hospital. And my ex broke up with me.

My huge accomplishment months prior to this just got overshadowed. I'm surprised I didn't become a bitter and angry person because of this. Spoke to a friend about this and basically when one aspect of your life goes right, the rest goes to hell. That's how it felt. I did feel like I was being punished. It's like universe had to correct itself because I was going up to high. I lost my way.

Skip to now, I've recently come to realize and come to terms with what happened to me for the past year. I've come to accept everything that has happened. Seeing this fortune reminded me of what I did. What I can do. What I will do. The past few months I've been doing exactly what this fortune says. I just couldn't put them into words.

Thanks.


I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment