Sunday, March 13, 2011

Killzone 3 Review

Admittedly, I never played the first and the second game. The only reason why I'm even playing this is because I needed a new PS3 after the lens fried from overheating and too much Final Fantasy XIII. So I went and got the Killzone 3 PS3 package. It's the same price as the low end PS3 slim right now. So why not get one with a game?

Not knowing the story beforehand, the opening scene does a great job briefly explaining the back-story of the game. Afterwards, you are thrust into the game as a Helghan soldier... the enemy in the game. This is the tutorial part of the game where they teach you the game mechanics. In the target practice area, the game prompts you to shoot signs symbolizing the enemy and ally (green for ally and red for enemy). When I aimed and shot the enemy, I got an error saying that I shot an ally. That's when I realized I'm controlling the good guys in the game disguised as the enemy.


The game is just like any straightforward first-person shooter. I got spoiled by Modern Warfare 2, so this game didn't stick out as much. I read up on the game, but the story just isn't as engaging as the Modern Warfare series. Importantly above all aspects of a game, for me, is the story and the music. I'm a seasoned Role-Playing Game (RPG) fan. The game could have the ugliest interface and strenuous random battles, if the story is engaging, I'll see it through. I do like the music in the game. It's spot on. It matches the heightened action-filled scenes as well as the somber ones.

Besides the story, game play is awesome. It's one of the better first-person shooters out there. It's definitely shorter than Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but it's also shorter than Modern Warfare 2.  It's obvious the developers made this game with multi-player in mind, such is the case for most First-Person Shooters. An exception for this would be Deux Ex and the Half-Life series, where story is key.

I haven't played online mode as of yet. If I do, I'll be on mute. I could care less about what online chat. There are a lot of trash talkers out there. I'll just play this game in my little corner and beat them senseless. I'm sure they're hitting their heads with the controller (self-maiming) after every loss.

There's downloadable content available, but I don't think I'll be playing that. I have other games to complete.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment