Monday, May 16, 2011

God of War III Review

So I finished God of War III last night into the wee hours in the morning. The game developers said this will be the last as far as the story is concerned. They might make prequel games, depending on demand. I expected as much from the ending. It was a nice closure to the story.

At the start of the game, Kratos is fighting hordes of enemies while hitching a ride on the back of the titan, Gaia. All of this unfolds with the titans climbing Mount Olympus to kill the gods.


If every game starts out as epic as this, you know you're not just playing a game.

You end up fighting Poseidon, Hades, Hermes, Helios, Hercules and Zeus. There are other boss battles along the way, including a fight with Cronus, Zeus's father. Everything in this game just screams epic especially the Cronus battle. Cronus is the leader of the titans. This guy is huge. He's an island and a mountain combined. Another battle was with Helios, the Sun god. Kratos ends up beheading Helios and carries around his head like Medusa's head, except this head is used as a lamp.

Say, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

The puzzles were somewhat easier compared to those found in the 1st and 2nd games. The battles were larger than before and I think there are more boss battles than the previous games. Did I mention this game is also bloody gore-rific? The things you get to do would make Mortal Kombat characters cry for mercy.

There's nothing bad I can say about this game except a few glitches. I play for the story and just overall gameplay. I've beaten both the 1st and 2nd games at their hardest difficulty levels. I'm not about to try it with this. There was a time when I was still in high school where I would spend hours perfectly completing various games for personal achievement. This was before they have XBox achievements and PS3 trophies. Now, a part of me is still up for the challenge... who knows.

Overall, it's an enjoyable game. For those who played the previous incarnation, they will get to enjoy it. For the newcomers, no worries. The game does a great job of explaining the events in the past games without spoiling them for you if you plan on playing them. This game should give you about 8-10 hours in story mode alone. The hours vary depending on the difficulty level.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment