Saturday, August 27, 2011

inFAMOUS Review

Back in June, I received the Playstation 3 compensation package from Sony to apologize for the Playstation Network's downtime. You were given the choice of 2 games out of 5 that were offered from the Playstation store. I got the Wipeout HD bundle and inFAMOUS. I could have gotten Little Big Planet, but I thought it was ripe for me to play racing games after a 2 year hiatus (last racing game I played was Motorstorm).

Now for inFAMOUS. The game follows a courier, who got a package for delivery. Little did he know that it would blow up in his hands, destroying city blocks. Miraculously, he survives and finds that he can control electricity. The game goes from there.



I'm two years behind in this franchise, with inFAMOUS 2 already out. All I knew about it was that it was a superhero type game. I didn't know it played like Grand Theft Auto 3... sandbox-style game play with power-up elements thrown in, in addition to karma-decision points that affect your gaming experience.

The decision points play out in various segments throughout the game. They present you with a good or bad choice. Good choices puts your position in the blue scale. Bad choices drops the needle down towards the red. Your status affects your abilities and the reactions from non-playable characters. If you're in the good side, you rank from guardian, to champion, to hero. Evil side ranks you at thug, outlaw, then infamous. Each rank has their own perk in the form of more powerful upgrades.

The game has you helping citizens from "mutated" people out to control the city or evil missions that only benefit you. In the mean time, you're doing missions to restore electricity throughout the game as you progress the story.

There are three districts in the city. So far, I've restored all electricity in one district and reclaimed 100% of the territory from the mutated outlaws. It's turning out to be a huge game. Enjoying it so far.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment