Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Celebrity vs Soldier Death Rhetoric

Cory Monteith, star of the show Glee as Finn Hudson, died in July 13th, 2013. They found his body at the Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver. He was alone and there was no foul play involved. Recent autopsy results showed that he died of a "mixed-drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol." It was known before that he battled drug addiction. He was on the road to recovery (many were hoping) and even completed a 30 day rehab. It's hard to overcome vices.

I only know of the actor from Glee. He was a fan favorite. It's a shame what happened and I feel sorry for his family and friends. What irks me, though, are the year-round "celebrity vs soldier death" arguments. I'm not smart enough to know what this term is, but I'm sick of it. They use it to comparing everything (i.e. athlete/celebrity vs. soldier/teacher salaries). It's a lazy (mostly unnecessary) rhetoric for things that don't need to be argued.


If I remember correctly, we are all equal in this country. Soldier's are doing a great service, protecting this country. Other than that, that don't make them more important than anybody else... unless all that equality talk is actually not true. Oh, it's not? Well, then... carry on.

But let's believe, for a minute, we are all equal. Nobody is more important than anybody else. When a person dies, the importance of their passing falls on the people close to them, people who adored them and people who knew them. That's it.

People I don't know die everyday. People I don't know. That's it.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment