Saturday, July 27, 2013

Diary of a Gamer #10

I've been dreading to write this post only for the fact that I'll have to follow it up in the next few weeks with dedicated reviews and first impressions of all the games I've played over the last several months. One thing is for sure, though: I'm not making reviews for Candy Crush Saga and Bubble Witch Saga. I'll start with the basics of what's up in the gaming front.

I sold my Nintendo DS Lite along with all my DS games. I bought in college, back when it was on sale and many of my college friends were playing them. The last time I played any of my DS games were in 2011. I had 5 games unfinished. I was fine parting ways with it. I received a lot of store credit for the trade, which I used to reserve Beyond: Two Souls back in May. I wasn't sure if I wanted to play The Last of Us. It came out last month in June and many were blown away. I saw the first 20 minutes of game and that was not fun (read as sad). I'll probably get around to playing that game eventually. That and Beyond: Two Souls are the last exclusive PS3 games in 2013, if not ever.

E3 happened last month, as well. Words spoken. Shots fired. Internet exploded. Consoles ignored. Biggest backtracking in gaming history. Bigwig resigning.


Long version: Microsoft fully unveiled their plans for XBONE (Xbox One). Many reviled their DRM plans for physical copies of games and used games. Later that night, Sony fully unveiled their plans for PlayStation 4 and one-upped Microsoft's plans with a more delicious console and gaming infrastructure. The Internet goes wild. Fanboys caused so much mortar damage on gaming sites, some had to retool how they moderate site comments. Meanwhile, Nintendo's Wii U was wildly ignored. Ouya was left out and tried to crash E3. A week after that infamous slugfest, Microsoft backtracked their DRM and used games policies for XBONE. Around two weeks later, XBOX Chief resigns from Microsoft and becomes CEO of Xynga, of Farmville fame (Good to see two-weeks notice is still in practice). Both PS4 and XBONE are set to come out this holiday season. Competition is always good for innovation. Here's to gaming later this year and to the next.

I recently finished inFAMOUS. This brings me to all the games I've completed since my last major gaming post.
  • Brutal Legend (PS3)
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
  • Datura (PS3)
  • Final Fantasy All the Bravest (iPhone/iPad)
  • flOw (PS3)
  • Flower (PS3)
  • Heavy Rain (PS3)
  • inFAMOUS (PS3)
  • Machinarium (PS3)
  • The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PS3)
Luckily, inFAMOUS 2 was available for free on PlayStation Network Plus. They offer highly-discounted games and full-games for free. I've downloaded Machinarium, Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey  LittleBigPlanet Karting, and inFAMOUS 2. Other than these, Namco released Tekken Revolution. It's a free version of a watered-down Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I'll get more into that in another review.

I think I'll get around to reviewing most of the games I've completed. As for the free games I recently downloaded I'm not sure if I have time to finish them. inFAMOUS 2 is a definite improvement over the last game, but I'm not that invested with the story of the entire series. It's the same deal with Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey. If the story is not captivating enough for me, gameplay mechanics better be great and worthwhile. inFAMOUS 2 is just the same as the first game. Munch's Odyssey is a cross between Pac-Man and a platformer: you're left collecting green eggs the entire game. The platformer side is not that good. Wonky game mechanics or bad camera angles left up to the player to maneuver is the bane of many games. This managed to have both. I'll probably just play it for the trophies.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment