Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jogged Down Memory Lane... Literally

So I was still awake at 6. Out of nowhere, being spontaneous, I decided to put my running shoes on and went outside the house for a jog at 6:15AM. The woods and plant life in the hiking trail have grown enormously since the last time I've been here. I jogged 1/2 a mile in 5 minutes. I haven't been able to do that since ever. After that I walked and jogged alternately towards the public swimming pool which is about 3/4 of a mile away from my house through the jogging pathway in our neighborhood. I walked/jogged again towards the opposite end of where my house is and found myself in the playground.

I haven't been in this playground for a long time. Last time I was here was 4 years ago. My ex and I came here one fine afternoon and relived our childhood memories playing in the swings and pushed each other on the swings. A few months ago I'd probably get all sad and depressed. As I approached the playground and the swings and pull-up bars, I just smiled and thought to myself... those were great memories.

Anyway, I continued jogging on the hiking trail and met early risers and joggers along the way. I also ran into this pretty girl who smiled at me when I smiled at her (note to self: jogging in the back hiking trails can also be good for meeting people and women... just saying ). Then I jogged/walked the opposite direction again and decided to head back home.

It was a great exercise. I wasn't forcing myself to the pace of a treadmill. I had control over my running/jogging pace. 6:00-6:45AM seems to be a great time for jogging in the summer as the sun is still rising and the air is still cool from the nighttime temperature. I enjoyed it. If there's a time for a lifestyle change, this would be my opportunity. Maybe before work I can get up a little early and run/jog for a good 30 minutes. I'm literally laughing at this idea cause I'm a deep sleeper and lazy at getting out of bed. However, I see a lot of benefits to this. First of all, it's an exercise. Exercise is always good no matter how little. Second of all, the only time I'm out of the house on weekdays is when I'm going to work and stuck in traffic, waiting for the metrorail to arrive, work 8 hours at work, get on the metro, drive back home. By the time I'm home, it's almost dark. When I jogged today, I got to experience morning air again as I used to when I was little: Peaceful. Serene. Third, half-jokingly, the potential to pick-up pretty joggers, walkers, dog walkers, cougars, etc.

Anyway, this isn't concrete or anything but I'll definitely take this approach into consideration.

I'm done... and hungry.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your post or update on Facebook and thought, wow, that's early :)

    ReplyDelete