Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Wall-E Game Sequel

Back in the Fall of 2008, I was busy looking for a job. I was still unemployed. The independent gaming site that I was active with when I was in high school and 1st half of college just underwent renovation and finally opened. There was a Sci-Fi game contest. The rules were that you make the game from scratch. It didn't matter what copyrights were infringed. So I decided to make a 2D version of WALL-E.

This is the character set to be used in the game. All pixel art drawn by me.

It was a puzzle game. This was supposed to be a sequel to the movie. In this game, Wall-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter, Earth-Class), EVE (Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator), and MO (Microbe Obliterator) were to scavenge the Earth and various other planets in our solar system and collect junk (WALL-E), any signs of life (EVE).

You get play as WALL-E as he goes through obstacles (nicely done in puzzle form) and collect various junk (as seen in the video). As EVE, you collect plant life. As MO, you scrub out all the dirt. At the same time, you have to avoid magnets and the robot police (red, purple, yellow, green, blue). Each item collected and time left in the stage gives you points or 1UP (extra life in the game). I had stages created for the game, but they got corrupted. So I mucked-up a simple stage showing the characters I have. I showcased how the characters would move in the game space and the items they collect. It's recorded in video form:



We only had two-weeks to complete this game. I was busy with my job search and this feeling of impending doom at the time. So I couldn't finish the game.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment