Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gaming from 5 to 12 Years Old

The first gaming system we had was the Family Computer in the Philippines (It was released as the Nintendo Entertainment System here in the US).

I teased my sister when she plays on her turn by pausing the game repeatedly... I was a little bully

The first games we got was Sky Destroyer and Ice Climbers. These were the only games we got for about year. It was at that time when my parents bought us Contra.

I didn't know the Konami code back then, so I played the game with only 3 lives and was able to make it to stage 5. This game was hard. It was when my dad asked one of these kids to teach me the Konami code. Even with the code, it was still hard to beat the game. I was 6 at the time. We would borrow games from neighbors and cousins from time to time. Adventure Island. Legend of Kage. Super Mario Bros. 52-in-1. But my sister and I played Contra like there was no tomorrow.

As far as videogames go, Contra is the first game I ever beat. My sister and I beat it together with two continues after a Game Over with the Konami code. I kept playing Contra until I didn't need to continue the game anymore. After that, I only needed 3 lives to beat the game. I did it for personal achievement. Just knowing I beat it with 3 lives was good enough for me as a kid.

Another game we borrowed was Mechanized Attack. It was a shooting game that required the Light gun... a peripheral we never had. Fortunately, we could play the game using the controller. It was a pain, but we managed. And we had fun.

My parents bought us 82-in-1. It was one of those bundle games were you could play a bunch of games off of one cartridge. We didn't know it was a pirated software. Either way, We still had fun.

The exact artwork for 82-in-1

The list of games in the 82-in-1. It brings back memories.

My parents also got us Super Mario Bros. 3. It took a long time to beat this game. The last stage before beating Bowser took a while to figure out. The only way I remember of beating Bowser was to make him jump on the brick platform and have him slowly chip it away until he breaks the last row and falls through. Beating the game was so fun and rewarding. I waited for a long time after it said "THE END" if something else happens. Turns out it just kept looping. I found out later that the version of Super Mario Bros. 3 that we got was a pirated and hacked version. Basically, in the world map, we could chose whichever power up before the start of the level. That means we could choose the flute twice and it will take us straight to World 8.

The last game we got was Street Fighter II. Yes. Someone made a pirated version of Street Fighter II. The game was playable with only 4 characters: Ryu, Chun-Li, Guile and Zangief.


Here's part of my childhood :)

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment