Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Vacation 2012 - Part I

Finally found time to make this post. So I was on in the west coast for almost two weeks for the 7-day cruise to Alaska Between June 23rd to July 3rd. We had about 2 days of layover before our ship departed on Sunday. We took the Norwegian Pearl cruise ship to Alaska (Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, Ketchikan) and Victoria BC, Canada. After the cruise, we took the bus from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada to meet my cousin and her family.

This is the first two days of my summer vacation. You can read my detailed story and the video I created, summing up the little time I had exploring Seattle.

Flight from BWI Airport to Seattle
We started the trip waking up early Saturday morning to the airport. It was a nonstop flight to Seattle (6 hours). When we got there, we went around Downtown Seattle. We ate at Westlake Center and exploring the scenery.

  
  
These blue painted trees and humanesce status were scattered throughout the public park.

  
Left: Public Park in Downtown Seattle. Right: View from our room at the Mayflower Park Hotel

We shopped at Macy's for a bit. It was just across the street from the Mayflower Park Hotel, where we stayed. That's when we headed back to Westlake Center to take the monorail towards the Space Needle. Our first stop was the Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibit. These glass sculptures are amazing and intricate. There's so much color in them. With the lighting and the right angle, these sculptures come to life. And these were just the sculptures inside. They also have them outdoors.

    

Left: Sylar from Heroes. Center: My youngest sister. Right: My mom and siblings.

 

The ones they have outside resembled more like plants. Think Alice and Wonderland and Avatar scenery, except made of glass. When we finally made it back inside to the gift shop, they were selling small glass sculptures. The cheapest one we found was $6,500.

 

After the exhibit, we went up the Space Needle. The Space Needle was built for the 1962 World Fair. Here are some pictures I took at the observation deck.

    

We ended the night having dinner at P.F. Chang's. It was just a few blocks from our hotel. The next day on Sunday morning, we went down to Pike Place Market. We bought drinks inside the 1st Starbucks. I treated my family so I can get stars on my card towards another gold star status.



  
   

Pike Place overlooks the pier nearby. We could see our cruise at the docks. The vendors in the market had their produce on display and arranged to impress.

 
 
 

We had brunch at the Athenian Seafood Restaurant and Bar. They filmed a scene here on Sleepless in Seattle. That makes it three places that we've been at where they had Tom Hanks film a scene in the movies (The Empire State building and Cafe Lalo in New York and this one). I had steak and eggs. So much for brunch...

 
 

As we headed back to our hotel to get ready for the cruise, there was a mass of humanity crowding the street next to our hotel. We didn't know that the Pride Parade would be passing on the street. My youngest sister and I stayed behind for a bit to take some photos and videos. Here are some pictures from the event. For more pictures of my time in Seattle, go here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment