Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer Vacation 2012 - Part III

Starting off where I left off with part 2, I woke up around 9:00AM Alaskan Time. This is day 3 of the cruise. Our ship has slowed down considerably on the way to the port of Juneau, Alaska. My parents and siblings already went ahead to the gym before. I caught up with them and did about an hour of jogging and lifting weights. I didn't over do it because I was still sore from the previous day's exercise, jogging and rock climbing. The ship docked at around 2:00PM Alaskan Time.


Did Juneau that it's the capital of Alaska and the largest city in the US?


We booked the whale watching excursion for Juneau. It's 4 hours long and includes a bus tour around downtown Juneau and on the way to Allen Marine Tours. Our bus driver was very entertaining. She's in her 20s and talked about a lot of random facts about Juneau. On the way, we saw bald eagles nesting on trees and on logs on the creeks and rivers. They only have one McDonald's restaurant in Juneau. When it opened, almost everyone in town showed up that they ran out of food on opening day. They had to wait for two weeks until shipment arrives.

When we arrived at Allen Marine Tours, we took the St. Yakov ship. The weather was just right for the tour. It was slightly foggy, drizzling and cold-ish. Our tour bus driver said that this is the right temperature for the humpback whales to show up. And she was right.

We saw lots of them bubble net feeding. Originally, I thought we would be on kayaks. I was disappointed and glad at the same time. Just seeing these whales are awesome.








We spent about 2.5 hours on the St. Yakov ship. Afterwards, we went around Downtown Juneau to shop and take pictures. We got back on the ship around 7:00PM. I was completely tired after that I went straight to sleep and woke up the next day.






My siblings and I

On Day 4, we were in Skagway, Alaska. Skagway is one of the stops that people went to during the Klondike Goldrush in the 1890s to Yukon. We took the scenic train ride on the White Pass Summit. We actually passed by bears as the train went along. For about 20 minutes, we were on Canadian territory at the top of the summit. No mountie in site.

Afterwards, we went around Downtown Skagway. All these towns have a western outdoor-ish feel to them. They're so small compared to other well-known towns in the US.




















Back in the cruise, we had a full dinner again. I got somewhat drunk with all the wine that my dad ordered, but I didn't let that stop me from going to the Ultra Bliss Lounge for some karaoke. I sang BSB - Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely and Tobey Keith - I Wanna Talk About Me. I did say I have an eclectic taste :)

After karaoke, I went to the Spinaker Lounge for the White Hot Party. Everyone was dressed in white. However, it was not a requirement. So I didn't care that a few of us stood out. There was a guy wearing all black who danced the night off. We owned that dance floor. When people got tired of dancing, a bunch of us left and went back to the Ultra Bliss Lounge, where the party continued. I got back into my room at around 2AM.

On Day 5, the ship was at sea. We were headed to Glacier Bay National Park. The scenes here are breathtaking. The water was so clear. As we got nearer into glacier territory, the water turned light blue. It more looks like teal colored because of the glacier silt. The seagulls were really curious and kept flying near the ship. Some even landed on other people's balconies.






















Our captain spotted this bear on the way out of the Glacier Bay National Park. He informed us of the location. I zoomed in my camera at x25. It took about 3 minutes until I finally spotted the black bear.


After glacier watching, my siblings and I went to the Spinaker Lounge and played bingo. I actually won: $111. Not bad for a first round. We also got dressed up in the same T-shirts I bought online. We wore this for dinner that night. My mom and dad attended a juggling show. Because of the T-shirt that he was wearing, the juggler/comedian picked him to go onstage and juggle with him. Since he was a bit drunk from dinner, that made the juggling act much better. I wasn't there for the show, but my mom couldn't stop talking about it. It was too funny. Too bad they couldn't take pictures.





I'm not done...

No comments:

Post a Comment