Thursday, August 16, 2012

Summer Vacation 2012 - Part IV

Starting off where I left off with part 3, we already left the Glacier Bay National Park. Our cruise arrived early in the morning at Ketchikan, Alaska (6:00AM Alaskan Time). The cruise is only docking until 2:00PM in the afternoon, so my parents and siblings woke up pretty early to go around shopping in Downtown Ketchikan. I woke up around 9 to get some shopping done before our tour.

Ketchikan, Alaska - Downtown Ketchikan
Here's a photo that I took of our cruise ship before roaming around downtown Ketchikan.

There are lots of totem poles here. This one is near the docks at an intersection of the American Bald Eagle.

Here's an intersection at downtown Ketchikan. My sibling made this awfully clever pun... "Why did the lady cross the road? Be Ketchikan"

Since it was tourist season, there were students monitoring the streets for traffic and tourists crossing the street without a care in the world. This girl is cute. That's all.

I found Sarah Palin laughing

 
 
Native American/Eskimo dolls. A shuttle to Wal*Mart (the store is everywhere in the US). Another cruise about 4 blocks from ours. This intersection had a nice view.

Ketchikan Tour - Saxman Village and Creek Street
We didn't have much time to do some of the more elaborate excursions like riding a sea plane around town, scuba diving and others. We opted to do the tour around Ketchikan, Saxman Village and Creek Street. Just like in Juneau, we saw bald eagles everywhere perched on top of trees and on their nests. Our trolley driver/guide drove us near the beach front. The houses weren't elaborate or anything, but our guide said that these houses cost around $1million and up. It was a short 15 minute drive to Saxman Village. It is a Native American village known for their totem poles.

This is a totem pole of Abraham Lincoln. Long time ago, two native groups were living in this area. They had a disagreement. Around this time, there was a man with a boat named Lincoln. The captain agreed to bring the people of one group unto the other side of the water. After this, the people of Saxman village decided to commemorate a totem pole for the settlement and asked the boat captain for a picture of Abraham Lincoln. Since the picture only featured the president's top half of his body, his totem pole is really short.



Next stop was Creek street. Literally, they made a street on top of a creek with wood. We didn't get to explore the area as much because our cruise was leaving in 20 minutes.

 

At night, they had a "Dancing with the Pearl Stars" event. I put my name in, but I didn't get picked. It was probably for the best. The premise is to pick 4 men and 4 women from the guests and pair them with the cruise staff. I was just glad I got to watch this live. Too bad I didn't have it recorded. After that, I joined a family for this adult quest show. Every group had a number. 1, 2, 3, 4... For some reason, they gave us '69' on purpose. I knew what then what this game would be like.




I volunteered on pretty much most of it. I had to put on lipstick. I took my shoes off. I kissed a guy (the MC asked for a guy kissing a guy, but not necessarily on the lips... that's the premise of the game). One thing that was asked was a guy with thongs on his head. Some people literally put on thongs in their head instead of footwear. I also had to do the worm and be in my underwear. Yes. I got half naked. The last challenge was to have a guy with no shirt, no pants, on his underwear, wearing a bra, wearing lipstick, carrying a bag, wearing women's shoes. Since I volunteered the most, the other guy in our group had to do it. He was not happy, but a trooper. We won third place and a fold-able frisbee. I bought the guy beer afterwards.

I went back downstairs to the other lounge and danced.

Victoria BC, Canada - Butchart Gardens

We arrived at 6PM Pacific Time in Victoria, Canada. Our excursion is the Butchart Gardens. It's a really huge place full of flowers, trees, plants, etc.

 
 
I'm especially proud of this photo. The small lake was dark and the reflection was perfect. I kept looking for a good spot to take a photo. I found the best spot under Weeping Willow trees and took this gem.





 
 
 
 

This was the last day of the cruise. There was supposed to be a farewell dance party inside the ship, but it seems that people were too tired to do anything. They had the music on, but not that many people were dancing. Well, except me and the fellow EDM/dubheads I befriended. I was sad to go.

Originally, we were supposed to go on a Disney cruise. When I learned that I could join my family, our agent changed the booking schedule to fit me and put down the Norwegian cruise. I sure had fun with this ship. The experience was really good and the Norwegian Cruise Line set the bar really high as far as expectations with other cruises.

This was the last picture I took of the cruise.

Next vacation post will be my last one for the summer in Vancouver, Canada.

I'm almost done...

No comments:

Post a Comment