Friday, September 10, 2010

Diary of a Returning Gamer #1

The last time I played lots of great games was back in 2008: Metal Gear Solid 4, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur 4, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Maplestory (addicting as heck), etc.

Then around March-May 2009, my gaming just started to decline and I stopped playing most of my games. Pretty much abandoned them. I played Farmville and Mafia Wars on Facebook, but I don't really consider them full games. They're more like side-quests or a very long mini-games. It's ironic that my co-worker, the person that I got hooked on Fallout 3 is now the one pestering me if I completed Fallout 3 or any other game for that matter. From May 2009 to January 2010, the PS3, Wii, and DS Lite are collecting dust. We would play Rock Band once in a while when my sister comes to visit the house.

Then in January this year, I started talking to this girl online. She's a gamer and is more of a gamer than me at that point. She beat me to the punch by indirectly hinting of inviting me to Medieval Times (she asked if I've gone to Medieval times before). I just directly asked her if she's trying to invite me. I told her I was going to ask her to go to a movie with me or something. She asked if we could talk on the phone, so we exchanged numbers and started talking for about a week before deciding to meet up a week later on the snowy last Saturday of January. While waiting for this semi-blind date, I met 'Young Miss' playing the dancing game that I love to play.

We got together and and went out. I ended it abruptly because she didn't tell me she was still married beforehand. They're living separately, so technically she's single.. but not really. But enough of that. She kicked off my renewed interest in going back to gaming again. She's a Mass Effect freak and the last time I saw her before I ended it, we were playing Silent Hill Redemption.

I felt bad I ended another relationship. I was down for two weeks until deciding to head into Gamestop and buy Silent Hill Redemption and Mirror's Edge. I started playing Mirror's Edge and beat it in 2 days. I started playing Silent Hill: Redemption and Fallout 3 again before depression was settling in again. This was around February-March this year.

Then sometime in March, I met 'Young Miss' again. We played the Pump it Up Machine together for hours before she had to go home. She asked if I have Facebook LOL. (Note: You know you're living in the future when it's the girl that's asking for your personal info instead of you... and instead of asking for number, she asks if you have Facebook). She 'friended' me right on the spot with her phone. Literally, in my head, I was doing the 'Captain Morgan' pose and the Final Fantasy Victory Theme was playing. But then I found out she's only 18 years old (or maybe 17 years old). I'm just glad I met her.



Around the same time I started hanging out with a college friend... correction, some random girl from college whom I didn't talk to because I was too good for her. She got me addicted to more Facebook games than I care to admit (Yes I play Fishville, Cafe World, Treasure Isle as well). But I was glad I know someone who played Pump it Up, so I started going to the mall more often and playing the Pump it Up machine again. Because of this, I was reunited with my friends whom I met playing the game five years ago. It was the last week of April and I was there on that Friday. Everyone I knew five years ago just showed up. We didn't plan the reunion and it just happened. It's like some cosmic force was drawing us back together. But I think it was because we all had the need... the need to game and boss everything.

So for the past 4 months, I've been gaming it up. Slowly revving and increasing my gaming uptake by buying Tekken 6 and Heavy Rain. I bossed Tekken 6 and got everything unlocked within a week. I still haven't finished Heavy Rain, only because I'm a perfectionist and want to get the best ending right on the first try (there are more than 15 endings I think). This eventually led to me buying 3 new games for PS3.

Besides Facebook games, Flash games, and rhythm and dancing games... I'm back to PS3 gaming as well. There will be more shenanigans to come out of this.

TL;DR

Thanks to gamer girls, I got back into gaming.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment