Friday, September 10, 2010

Evangeline (2002)

I just went through my archived documents in high school and I found this story I wrote for a contest. I don't remember making this story until now. I don't even remember if I submitted my story to the contest at all. I read through it and I realized that I had a really good imagination. I was an awesome writer. I was clearly influenced by fantasy stories, anime and role-playing games. The things I wrote have are pretty advanced and going through "Evangeline" made me realize that Hollywood and the Anime/Manga industry has been ripping me off (Just kidding). College definitely changed me. I'm going through my old stuff right now and I'm just surprised by everything that I've written. Maybe I should start writing again. Anyway, here's the story I wrote when I was 18.

Evangeline

A long time ago, the world was made of two realms: the Temporal realm, human world, and the Enchanted realm. The Temporal realm is where humans live. The Enchanted realm is where immortals and superhumans live. In the Enchanted realm lies a legend of a dark entity that possesses unfathomable powers. The dark entity was born to destroy both realms. The legend tells of an entity of light, the key to defeating the dark entity. Only a mortal with the powers like that of immortals and superhumans can revive the dark entity. When the dark entity is reborn, the entity of light awakens from its sleep. The ultimate battle is waged between good and evil. This legend is kept secret by the descendants of the ancient warriors that fought and confined the evil entity in the Black Void, the place of nothingness.

In the Enchanted realm is a superhuman named Kain. Kain is a loner, a rebellious warrior that only looks after for himself. He doesn’t care about anyone, and he doesn’t need any help from others. He is one of the descendants of the ancient warriors. He has guarded the legend from those who seek it countless times. But nothing has prepared him for the ultimate battle that will change his life.

Cerge, a descendant of the ancient warriors, is using the knowledge and skills he obtained from his ancestors to try and bring back the dark entity and receive its powers. His intentions angered the immortals in the Enchanted realm. The immortals exiled him to the Temporal realm. Still, he does not give up on trying to revive the dark entity. He searched the Temporal realm for ‘the mortal’ that has the power to revive the dark entity. Aware of Cerge’s intentions, Kain sets out for the Temporal realm and looks for ‘the mortal’ before Cerge does. For years they haven’t found this mortal. Cerge reached a conclusion that ‘the mortal’ hasn’t been born yet. Kain continues to look for ‘the mortal’.
*************************************************

Many years have passed and humans have learned a lot since then. Kain feels that ‘the mortal’ is alive. He continues his search until one day…

“La, la, la, la, la, la. La, la, la, la, la, la.”

Kain hears a voice of a young woman singing. When he looked around, he sees a beautiful young woman by her home. Kain keeps looking at her. It feels like time has stopped for him. He is feeling a strange sensation in his stomach. It feels like he has known her before. Kain keeps looking at the young woman for a long time.

*************************************************

Kain keeps coming back to the young woman’s home everyday. Every day he wakes up, he always go back to her home to look at her beautiful face. Everywhere she goes Kain follows and looks out for her from a distance.

One morning, when Kain returned to the young woman’s home, he hid in the branches of a tree. When the young woman left her home, her foot leaves the ground and she flies towards the market. Kain’s lower jaw drops and he falls down from the tree he was hiding. After all this time he has been following ‘the mortal’. He follows her towards the market.

When the young woman left the market, she flies towards the mountain plains. The people in the market just gazed at her in awe. Kain follows her, but Cerge arrives and tries to knock her out. Kain flies towards Cerge and attacks him.

“The girl is mine!” yelled Cerge, looking at Kain’s eyes.

“She is nobody’s!” yelled Kain back at Cerge, knocking him down.

Cerge becomes unconscious and falls down towards the lake.

“Hurry! You must come with me! NOW!!!” ordered Kain, looking at the young woman, “You’re in grave danger!”

“What is going on?” cried the young woman.

“I will tell you later. Now come with me before he regains consciousness!”

“Alright.”

They fly far away from the mountain plains and hide in the woods.

*************************************************

It is already dark. Kain and the young woman are still hiding from Cerge in the woods. In the woods, Kain gathers some dead branches on the forest floor and starts making a bon fire. He lights the branches by waving his right hand to it. The young woman gasps. Kain looks at the young woman and keeps looking at her.

“Thank you for saving me back there?” said the young woman, still stoked about what happened earlier.

“Next time, be careful!” ordered Kain.

The young woman keeps her eyes locked at the fire. Her eyes don’t blink. She is still stoked about what happened.

“So! Where did you learn fly?” asked Kain.

The young woman responded, “I didn’t learn how to fly. I was born with it.”

“Oh!”

Time passed by. Kain and the young woman haven’t spoken a word to each other. Kain decided to break the silence.

“So! What’s your name?” asked Kain towards the young woman.

The young woman answered, “My name is Evangeline.”

“Evangeline! Huh! That means good news!”

“Why do you care?”

“Not at all! I’m just pointing out that it mea….”

Kain was cut-off in the middle of a sentence by Evangeline.

“What is going on? Tell me!”

“Alright then! I’ll tell you.”

Kain pauses for a moment before explaining to her.

“You know about the Enchanted realm, right?”

“Yes. It’s where immortals and superhumans live, right?”

“Yes. I’m from the Enchanted realm. I’ve been searching for you for many years. There’s a legend of my ancestors about a dark entity that is born to destroy both realms. The legend also says that only a mortal with powers like that of immortals and superhumans can revive the dark entity. You are the only one in this realm with superhuman powers. You fit the description.”

“I don’t believe you!” yelled Evangeline, “I don’t believe you!”

“I don’t care if you believe it or not!” retaliated Kain, “You are ‘the mortal’ that I have been after for centuries. I’m only here to prevent Cerge from getting you!”

“Cerge?”

“Yes, the one that tried to knock you down when you were flying towards the mountains. Why were you flying towards the mountain plains when your house is near the market?”

“Well, there are beautiful ruins near the mountain plains that I don’t think humans built. It looks foreign to me. It looks like some kind of passage.”

Suddenly, the branches start shaking. Kain sees a distinctive figure in the night sky flying towards the mountain plains.

“Cerge!” said Kain, looking at the sky, “That was Cerge. He was spying on us. If he heard you talk about those ruins in the mountain plains, then he probably thinks that the ruins are where the Black Void is sealed!”

“What do you mean?” asked Evangeline, looking very puzzled.

“The Black Void is a place of nothingness. It is the where my ancestors sealed the dark entity. If Cerge gets his hands on you, He’ll revive the dark entity!”

“What should we do?”

“I suggest you stay with from now on!”

“What about my house? My neighbors might get worried about me.”

“Forget it!”

“Why can’t we go someplace else?”

“If you’re out of my sight for a second, Cerge will capture you! So forget it! You can go back to your home when I get rid of Cerge.”

Evangeline stops talking. She stopped and then stared at the ground. She sits down and curls herself near the bon fire. She starts sobbing while looking at the fire.

Kain hears her weeping. Kain is thinking to himself, “(I shouldn’t have talked to her like that. I know she’s scared. I know she wants to go someplace else, but I just can’t take that chance.)”

Evangeline falls asleep. Kain keeps on looking at her. He is feeling that strange sensation he felt when he first saw her. He then walks towards the fire and puts it out.

*************************************************

In the morning, Evangeline wakes up and finds Kain standing right in front of her.

“I’ll let you go back home,” said Kain, “but I’ll have to accompany you. Alright?”

Evangeline looks at Kain. Her face filled with joy. She runs towards Kain and hugs him while saying, “Thank you! Thank you!”

Kain feels happy for a moment, and then, he feels very insecure. He looks at Evangeline and says, “You’re welcome. I’m sorry about last night. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I know you are scared. I know that you wanted to go someplace else, but I just couldn’t take that chance.” Kain feels very relieve by apologizing to her. She then lets go of him.

“I’ll go right ahead!” yelled Evangeline, already flying out of the woods.

“Don’t go too far!” Yelled Kain back.

When Kain was on his way out of the woods, he hears Evangeline yelling.

“Kain, help!” yelled Evangeline.

Kain flies out of the woods. When he reached the top, He sees Cerge holding Evangeline hostage with a sword. He tries to fly towards them, but…

“Don’t move!” said Cerge while pointing the tip of the sword at Evangeline’s neck, “If you come near me, I’ll stab her!”

Kain stops and talks to Cerge angrily, “Cerge listen closel…”

Before he can finish his sentence, Cerge throws a fireball at him, knocking him down.

“Kain!!!” cried Evangeline.

Kain’s surroundings look blurry. Before he became unconscious, he sees two flying objects flying towards the direction where the ruins that Evangeline was talking about. He falls and hit the ground.

*************************************************

It was already dark. Kain tries to get up from the ground, but his body is too weak to get up. His body falls back to the ground. He remembers being hit by a fireball. When he remembered Evangeline calling his name, a burst of energy caused him to get up. He looks around, looking at every direction of where the mountain plains are. When he looked at the night sky on his left, he sees bright red purple lights covering the night sky. He concludes that Cerge is starting to revive the dark entity. He then thinks to himself, “(It’s all my fault, I shouldn’t have let her go on before me.)”

Not knowing what to do, Kain looks at the sky and shouts to the top of his lungs with anger. He then remembers the strange sensation he felt when he first saw Evangeline and when he was looking at her when she was sleeping. He realizes that the strange sensation he is feeling towards Evangeline is love. He now knows why he is too protective of her. After realizing this, he looks towards the red purple sky and takes off.

*************************************************

When Kain arrived at the ruins, he sees Evangeline tied down on a big pillar in the ruins. He sees Cerge, almost finish reciting the chants for reviving the dark entity. Kain flies towards Cerge before he can finish the chant.

“Cerge!” yelled Kain.

Cerge turns around and finds Kain, holding a sword with one hand.

“Take this!” shouted Kain while throwing the sword towards Cerge.

“Nooooooo!” cried Cerge.

The sword struck Cerge in the chest all the way to his back. He falls down to the ground.

*************************************************

Kain rushes towards Evangeline. He unties her and talks to her.

“Evangeline, are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” Answered Evangeline in a weak voice.

“Don’t worry. It’s over. Everything will be alright from now on.”

“You mean it?”

“Yes, I mean it.”

Kain looks at Evangeline, “Evangeline, I just want to tell you this.”

“What is it?”

“When I first saw you, I felt a strange sensation in me. It felt like I have known you before. I also felt it when you where sleeping in the woods and I was looking at you.”

“Kain, what are you trying to say?”

“I guess I’m trying to say that I…”

Suddenly, they hear Cerge’s voice reciting the chant for reviving the dark entity.

“Nee ra mun she ra, nee ra mun she ra! Kana muri mun she ra!” screamed Cerge in a very weak voice, “At last! The power will be mine!”

The ground starts shaking. The passage in the ruins opens and emits a dark red purple light. The ground opens and dark red lights come out. The red purple lights goes after Evangeline and surrounds her.

“Kain, help! Help!!!” yelled Evangeline in pain.

Kain tries to take her away from the lights, but he can’t get through them. There are bright blue lights escaping from Evangeline’s body. The more of these blue lights escape from her body, the bigger the red purple lights become. The red purple lights are sucking away her energy. Kain keeps swinging at the lights with his fist, hoping that he can hit them, but still nothing happens. The lights leave her weak body. All of them go inside the passage. Kain runs towards Evangeline.

In the passage, a large dark transparent figure comes out slowly. It’s the dark entity. The dark entity speaks with a very devilish low voice, “Who has awaken me?”

“I did it, master! I was the one who awakened you!” answered Cerge.

“Then you will be the one to receive the powers of darkness!” bellowed the dark entity.

The dark entity morphs into a dark red purple smoke and surrounded Cerge’s body. The smoke is absorbed through Cerge’s body. Cerge stands up with the sword still in his chest. Cerge opens his bloodshot eyes with a red purple glow in it. He pulls out the sword away from his chest. He looks at Kain and says, “Nothing can stop me now! The Temporal realm and the Enchanted realm will bow down before me! Hahahahah!”

Feeling very helpless, Kain stands his ground and drops down to his knees. He stares at the ground for a long time, feeling like he let the Evangeline’s realm and his realm down. He feels like there is no hope until….

“When the dark entity is reborn, the entity of light awakens from its sleep.”

Kain heard Evangeline’s voice and the voice of another being in sync with each other. He turns around to look at Evangeline’s body glowing and surrounded by bright blue lights.

“The ultimate battle is waged between good and evil.”

Kain stands up, looking very puzzled. “What’s wrong Evangeline?” asked Kain.

“Do not worry, Kain,” said Evangeline with her voice still in sync with another, “Evangeline is safe. I thank her for taking good care of me. Now is my chance to pay her back.”

“What do you mean?”

“I am the entity of light. Your ancestors did not know that ‘the mortal’ that has the power to revive the dark entity is inhibited by the entity of light. Only when ‘the mortal’ is in danger of dying will the entity of light resurface again and awaken from its sleep.”

Cerge, now inhibited by the dark entity, walks towards Evangeline’s directions.

“The entity of light is no match for the dark entity!” said Cerge, “The entity of light will die!”

Cerge throws a glowing red purple fireball at Evangeline and hits her.

“Nooo!!!” cried Kain.

Cerge laughs, but the fireball didn’t damage Evangeline.

“No! This can’t be!” roared Cerge.

Evangeline looks at Kain and says, “Kain, go away from this area. This battle is only waged between the entity of light and the dark entity.”

“What about Evangeline?” asked Kain.

“There is nothing you nor I can do about her. Her body is dying. The only one you can save now is yourself.”

Not believing what the entity of light is saying, Kain retaliated by saying, “No! It’s not true! She will not die! She can’t die!”

“Go! Now!” said the entity of light, “save yourself!”

Feeling hopeless, Kain flies out of the vicinity. As the ultimate battle between good and evil is waged, Kain looks at the sky and says, “Why? Why?”

*************************************************

The battle continued for along time. Cerge’s body, inhibited by the dark entity, is still fighting Evangeline, inhibited by the entity of light. Neither of the two entities would give up. Kain is still watching the fight.

“The entity of light will not win against the dark entity!” shouted Cerge while gathering all of his strength to make the biggest fireball to defeat the entity of light.

“Light triumphs over darkness! Good triumphs over darkness!” yelled Evangeline back while gathering all of her powers to make the biggest ray of light to defeat the dark entity.

Cerge throws the fireball at Evangeline. Evangeline shoots the ray of light at Cerge. When the two powers collided, a big explosion occurred. When the light from the explosion faded, the whole area that Evangeline and Cerge were fighting was flattened. The whole place went silent.

Kain said to himself, “The powers of good and evil cancelled each other.”

*************************************************

Kain looked everywhere for Evangeline. He can’t see any traces of her whereabouts. He searched for her until he saw a body of a young woman, lying down on the ground near the woods that they were hiding.

“Evangeline! Evangeline! Please talk to me!” Kain holds her by her hand. Evangeline is not moving. There is not much energy left within her.

“Evangeline! Please! Talk to me!”

Evangeline’s right hand jerks a little bit. Kain holds her right hand, hoping that it will help her to awaken.

“Evangeline! Please! Talk to me!”

In a soft voice, Evangeline talks to Kain, “Kain. Everything’s going to be alright, just like you said.”

Kain’s face is filled with joy when he heard her voice. Kain asks her, “Do you remember what I said about that strange sensation that I feel when I look at you?”

“Yes.”

“What I was trying to say was that I love you.”

“Thank you. Now I have my own confession to make.”

“And what is it.”

“Remember when Cerge took me hostage and you stopped going after him when he threatened you that he’ll stab me?”

“Yes”

“That was the time when I fell in love with you. I just couldn’t say it to you at the ruins.”

“Well that makes me so happy!” said Kain, while embraced her, “I want to share my life with you, Evangeline!”

“I wish I could say the same.”

Unexpectedly, Evangeline’s right hand gave up and slipped through Kain’s right hand.

Her hand falls down to the ground. Kain picks her hand up, but there is no life to it. His vision is clouded by water. A drop of water trickled down his face from his eye. He embraces Evangeline for a long time. He looks around and sees a lake nearby. He then carries her towards the lake.

At the lake, he brings Evangeline’s body in the water and lets it sink. He looks at Evangeline as she floats down the bottom of the lake.

Time passes by and Kain is still standing on the lake. While standing on the lake, he vows to himself that he will always remember Evangeline and the short wonderful time they spent together. He walks away and flies towards the Enchanted realm.

*************************************************

Many years have passed. Kain got married and he has two children. His wife doesn’t know anything about the legend of the dark entity and the entity of light and Evangeline. He kept the legend and Evangeline a secret.

One day, when he was taking a walk on the mountains, he glances to a bird, flying near his head. This brings back his memories of Evangeline. He keeps looking at the bird. He follows its direction. To his surprise, the bird lands on a floating tree branch on a lake nearby. This makes him remember his vow to Evangeline on the lake on the Temporal realm. He keeps watching the bird. He makes a big smile on his face.

One night, Kain decided to tell his children about the legend of the dark entity and the entity of light. He also told his children of ‘the mortal’ that has the power to revive the dark entity. He told his children that ‘the mortal’ didn’t bring back the dark entity. He told his children that ‘the mortal’ brings good news. Her name is Evangeline.



The End


I just remembered that when I was going to write this story for a contest, I had an idea for story about flying people. I needed a good name for one of the main characters. I was looking for names online and I found "Evangeline." Evangeline means "bearer of good news." From that, I ran with it and made the story.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment