Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Road to Dante's Inferno

Ain't No Sunshine trailer

I recently completed the Electronic Art's Dante's Inferno. It's based on the first part of Dante Alighieri's "The Divine Comedy." The game plays just like God of War, except you're playing a crusader in the middle ages who fights his way into the nine circles of hell to save his beloved wife. You fight bosses based on the seven deadly sins.

Originally I started the game at normal difficulty. The problem with these types of games is that they make the enemy damage larger than your damage and tweak the enemy AI to be a bit harder. The good thing is you can change the difficulty setting on the fly. I was stuck in a boss fight. The boss is fairly easy to kill, but I keep getting knocked off the stage when the boss is down for the count. The arena gets smaller and smaller each time the boss is on the ground kneeling. So I changed to the next lowest difficulty setting. The difficulty curve in this game is unbalanced. It took me 3 critical hits to make the boss kneel in the lower difficulty setting. It took me multiple hits including critical hits just to make the boss kneel in the normal difficulty. I can only imagine how time consuming it is in the two upper difficulty levels.


French Trailer... not in French

Story telling is what keeps you going in this game. Other than that, it's like God of War. If it wasn't for the story, I probably won't finish this game... That's a lie, I'll finish it just for the sake of completion.  The boss fights are interesting, to say the least. One enemy I had trouble dealing with are the unbaptized baby souls. they start making baby cries when you hit them.

Not Safe For Work battle with King Minos, Judge of Death

I'll probably play this game again to get everything. Just because. But I'm on my way to finishing the next game: Maybe Brutal Legend or Fallout 3, Heavy Rain, Silent Hill Redemption, or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment