Wednesday, April 13, 2011

30 Days of Truth - Day 15

Something or someone you couldn't live without, because you've tried living without it.

I would have to say electricity. My earliest memory experiencing a brownout or blackout, I cried. We had to use emergency lamps and candles.

The longest I've gone without electricity was when we had Typhoon Ruping. I think I was 5 at the time. Almost a month we didn't have electricity. We survived by getting water from the water pump and donations from the Dried Mango company near us. We also got them from my mom's work. We took barrels and filled it up with water for everyone in our residence to use. When it rained, we took out our plastic barrels. I bathed in the rain, as well. At night we listened to the radio and I slept pretty early then. I woke up with my sister just before my mom left for work. We would always accompany her with our nannies as she gets a ride with the jeepney or a taxi cab when it's really traffic.

At the time, it wasn't too difficult. We got by just fine. As for now, I don't see how our society can function without it. Almost everything requires electricity to work. I work with computers, probably the most significant invention in the last century, which wouldn't have been as big as it is now if it weren't for electricity.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment