Sunday, March 7, 2010

Project Bascule Day 1

So I started creating Teito's Bascule from 07-Ghost. Here's what it looks like in the anime:

Anime version.

An artist rendition I found online.

The Manga version is not as geometric as in the anime. They have a more organic feel to it. I'm putting my own spin once it's done.

Here's the base.

close up.

The length of the Bascule.

At first I bought Two 1x1x36 inch wood. I connected them and the whole thing is 6 feet tall. I thought it was too big. Turns out it's just the right size for me. So I ended up buying another and sawed it down to 23 inches long (or rather cut off 15 inches off of it). The circular Styrofoam that I found was 18 inches in diameter. I had to make sure that the intersecting points are 11 inches out. so I sawed off the middle 1 inch of the 23 inch wood and did the same for the equivalent point of the 6 foot wood. I didn't saw it completely. Here's a diagram of what I sawed off.

I did this so I can just hammer the two sticks together in place

After that, I measure the circular Styrofoam so it it fits snuggly on the cross intersection. The Styrofoam I got are 2 inches thick so that gives me 0.5 inches of Styrofoam left in between.

The Styrofoam I got from Michaels.

Spotting and planning where to saw off in on the Styrofoam.

A quarter of the circle broke. No worries, from the design, it's intended to be a 3/4 circle but I connected it with masking tape for the time being.

1 quarter broke off.

Patching job.

The next design are the the 4 slabs in the bottom part of the circle. These slabs are aligned and pointed to the center of the intersection. I did the same technique as putting the wooden sticks together and shaved/sawed off 4 slabs of Styrofoam. This should do the job.

The out ends.

The inner slabs.

View on the ground.

The 2x2 inch Styrofoam.

I will be splitting the the 2x2 Styrofoam in half and carving/shaving/sawing off the inside. This might not be the best approach. I could try and melt the insides off with a hot iron or something.

Sawed in half, carved the insides and wrapped around the wooden stick and held together by masking tape.

I might have to rethink this part. Whatever it is, I have about 5 months to work with and I'm not worried. After I get the entire design covered in Styrofoam, it will be covered in masking tape. After that, I'll apply rough dimples and cuts on the surface to give it that rough look. Once that's done, I'm spray painting it with Brown Stone textured paint. I'll probably apply two coats and then let it dry.

I'll also be working on the Burupya plush doll. Until then.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment