Sunday, March 7, 2010

Project Bascule Remarks

The creation process of this project has seen a lot of changes in my head. My original plan was to use plain wood. Without the proper equipment to cut, drill holes, and shape the wood to how I want it, I had to improvise. The original plan was to to make the Bascule have a 1x1 inch dimension. The problem comes with finding a 1-inch thick circular wood. Not to mention a circular ring wood. If I had the proper tools, I could have just cut a 1-inch thick sturdy plywood and shape it to the circular ring. Even better, if I have an electronic cutting machine, I could just feed the schematics and dimensions of the Bascule to the computer. The machine will use that information and automatically cut anything for me as it is guided by the computer.

In 07-Ghost, they haven't mentioned what are the materials for making the bascule. From the looks of it, it's made of some type of stone. Metal would be fine, too. An even better solution if I want to make an authentic Bascule would be to use a high-speed water jet or laser that cuts through stone and metal like in these videos:





If I'm really desperate, I can take a woodworking class and build my Bascule if the instructor allows it. It saves me money. Heck, I'm considering getting a degree in architecture and be a teacher in a woodworking class. That way, I can just build these things. If the economy goes sour, I can always fall back on it.

Just saying.

I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment