Monday, October 25, 2010

Dammit, Hard Drive!!

Not a good day today. Started about 3 weeks ago when I heard scratching
and grinding noises while I was copying stuff into my hard drive. It was fine
receiving the files from my computer. Then about 2 week ago, I was a little
under the weather and decided to watch my shows. So I settled down and
turned on my laptop. When I navigated through the harddrive and clicked on
one of the folders, it hanged a bit and a box said the folder was inaccessible.
After about 5 days, it was an intermittent problem. Around 2 days ago at
night, it just wouldn't let me access the folders. I went online and did some
investigation of my own. Some tech-savvy people said "turn off the sleep
mode, safely disconnect the hard drive and shut down the computer." Then
everything should be fine. I restarted and hooked the hard drive. It didn't
work. I did some more research online some people suggested to getting
another harddrive enclosure. Even my friend said so. But I've encountered
something like this in the past with burned CDs. When I was saving data,
similar errors popped up. The only other option I could think of is salvage
as much of the hard drive. I'll run the CHKDSK.EXE so the computer can
verify the bad sectors and try to fix and remove the corrupted files if there
ever were to begin with. The only problem is it takes too long with the hard
drive at 2 Terabytes (TB) and at 1.03TB capacity. Some people online said
I might have to let it run for 3 to 4 days. One guy had a 1.5TB hard drive
at 1.3TB capacity. It took 4 days for CHKDSK.EXE to complete verifying. I
might have to just scrap that and call this one a dud. Another solution is
have a professional data recovery company salvage what's left in there for
a price. I have about 1TB worth of TV shows, movies, music and others. I
probably don't have to do this if CHKDSK.EXE can fix it. I should be really
pissed, but this happens. Checked my old hard drive and some files I have
yet to transfer are still intact. I'm somewhat relieved. But still...

I'm done.

(If you're wondering with the format of this post, it's because I made it into an acrostic)

No comments:

Post a Comment