Saturday, July 4, 2009

My July 4th Story

July 4th has no meaning to me. I know that it's independence day, but I don't really relate to it because my independence day is June 12th in the Philippines. However, I understand why this day is important. It's the day the US was born and became a unified country. Knowing it's importance is good enough for me. My 4th of July story has nothing to do with the holiday, though.

There was an open invitation for the 4th of July cookout in Centennial Park from 9AM to 7PM. I initially planned to go. After hearing sad news from relatives in the Philippines, I hesitated and thought I shouldn't go. I don't know what made me change my mind a few hours later. I decided to go.

The organizers (2 of them) and my friend were already there since 9AM setting up the site, taking a spot with a table and grill for the group. I got there sometime around 11AM and ate. We had kabobs, chicken wings, burgers and hotdogs. 1 hour later people started trickling in. Once we had a good group going we started playing with the Frisbee and football playing catch. One of the organizers family came in and set up blankets under the tree where we were at. A few more people showed up and we played with the Frisbee and football playing catch again.

I have to say, that's the most I've done outdoors since I was in high school. It felt great. Worked a sweat running around throwing the Frisbee and the football which, by the way, I might add, was fairly easy for me. I was surprised I could make a perfect throw with the football. The last time I threw the football was in high school. We had enough food to last the entire night if we wanted to stay.

Besides the food and playing, we walked around the lake in the park. Before that we took the shortcut and went the hike trail, which led us back to the parking lot near our spot. The walk around the lake took about an hour. It was worth the walk. I'm not much of a talker, but making conversation with people I just met came almost natural for me. Never thought I had it in me. It was definitely enlightening.

When most of the people who showed up were leaving, we stayed for bit longer for word of three more people stopping by. During the wait, I laid down in one of the blankets set up under the tree. With my sunglasses on, I closed my eyes and just listened to the wind as it tries to drown out the noise of people playing on the grass, people talking, music from a car radio in the parking lot, cars passing by, etc. After some time passed, as I placed my arms to my side... relaxed... I opened my eyes and stared at the slowly moving clouds in the clear, light blue sky. Suddenly it hit me.



I haven't felt this much serenity and calmness since I was little. I did the same thing back then. Laid down on the ground facing the sky and just letting my eyes rest down on my head and without a thought... just letting my mind take it all in. At that place, in that time... in that moment, I was really "in it." This is somewhat recursive because the "it" I'm referring to is that moment in time when I am somehow relieved of all stress and worries. I only laid down there for a good 5 minutes. That "it" moment probably only lasted a few seconds. It was a long time for me.

In this fast-paced world, I barely have time to do anything by myself. I'm working 5 days a week and possibly more than that when I'm the primary on call person. Any time alone I can manage to attain, I'll take it. Either it be when my family is sound asleep at night or when I'm shopping and going to the mall by myself, I'll take it. These alone times, my "Me" time, are so valuable to relieve my stress and worries for an eventful work week. But no matter how valuable these times are, none of them can compare to the few seconds I felt today laying on the ground watching the sky.

I usually don't make reflections as deep as this. Again, I don't know what made me change my mind to go to this 4th of July cookout, but I'm glad I did. As the saying goes, "the simplest things in life truly make you happy."

I'm done.



08. Meet someone new and have a great conversation
23. Be at peace
101. Be Happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment