Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Otakon 09 Masquerade Performance

So Otakon has ended.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  I went for the entire 3 day event.  I took a lot of pictures (note: I need to upload them to my photobucket account, making sure there's no limit).

So many new things I did this year:
- I cosplayed (dressed up) as Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist and got into a Fullmetal Alchemist photoshoot.
- Attended a panel (first time attending one).
- Took a lot more photos this year than before.
- Masquerade performance.
- Sang karaoke in the Otacafe.

Now to my masquerade skit.  I was just thinking about possible things to add to my 101 list of things to do.  At the same time, I was really thinking about doing a skit on the Masquerade event.  It was just a thought.  I never thought that I would go so far to actually performing on stage.  I only had about 2 months of planning for my skit.  Not bad for a big event.

I was lining up on Saturday to check in for the overflow entries.  I made it and got a spot.  I chose middle, and the entries they gave me were either #13 or #27.  I chose the former because it's not too late and not too early.  Just about right from the middle.  I signed up for rehearsal at 11:45AM same day.  I was rehearsing with other people during the skit.  When I went up on the stage, I thought I would be nervous.  This was just rehearsal and there were judges and people watching, and yet I was not nervous at all.  So I went and performed my rehearsal.  I got claps and people yelling "encore."

6:00PM: Masquerade seating begins and for the performers to gather in the backstage of the 1st Mariner Arena.  I was there with other performers practicing trying to stay relaxed.  I had to relax because about an hour earlier I had a nose bleed (happens when I'm tired and it's very humid).  My nosebleed stopped so I was good.  They had two HD TVs in the meeting room and two other larger HD screens in the back for us to watch.  We watched other perfomers go on stage.  After they returned, we clapped and congratulated them for their performance.  After the 8th entry, they called my number (entry #13).  While in the back of the stage, after entry #12 finished, the MC says: "Our next performer... entry #13: The Hot Burning Flame Alchemist."  There was a huge cheer from the audience.  I couldn't help myself but smile while the MC was reciting my introduction.  That just made my day.  After he finished, I walked on stage and cued the sound guy with my LED lighted glove to start the music.  All I can say is that, I wasn't nervous at all.  I was having a blast on stage and enjoying the cheers from the crowd.  It's just like how I was when I was a kid.

In doing the Masquerade performance, as entry #13, I accomplished #16 and #19 on my list.  From a random thought that I was just musing about, I put that thought into words.  I put those words into action and I made it happen.  From something so small to something so I did that was so grand in my opinion, this is one of the biggest accomplishments I've done in my life.  Seriously right now, I feel like I can do anything... no, scratch that... I CAN DO ANYTHING.  I make things happen.  That masquerade performance will not be the last.  It will be one of many more to come.

Things I accomplished during Otakon for my 101 list:
------------------------------------------------------
16. Perform onstage (won’t be the last)
17. Sing a solo in front of people (won’t be the last)
19. Entertain people (won’t be the last)
86. Overcome fear of failure

Someone was sneaky enough to film my entire performance during the masquerade and posted in on youtube.  Without further stalling, here's my performance.
FACT: There were 17,000+ (probably 20,000+) people in the audience.  I didn't know until I went backstage after my performance and one of the staff members told us.



I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment